Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Wishful Thinking About America

I think I'm going to write a short story where Obama is eventually forced to admit that he doesn't agree with the way that our government is functioning. When he's not President anymore, he slowly stops playing by the rules. He'll use his experience trying to change it from the inside to start the resistance to what it is becoming. He'll go completely rogue, go underground, and rise up with an army of people that aren't afraid to rip down the system that has failed them in order to build something new. Destroy to improve. It seems like there are a lot of people who are starting to have the courage to see this as an option. It isn't impossible. American has done pretty well, but it seems like we are starting to tread on ground that is becoming more and more unstable. Do we really want to peacefully transfer power to people that will do nothing but abuse it?

On the plus side, I know that progress is alive and well. I am staying in Atlanta, for the time being, in a place where diversity and difference of opinion are dealt with easily and without much thought. I've witnessed conversations, just in the past few days, about race, politics, science, and religion. These conversations were brought about by participants from every conceivable background and ethnicity. African American, gay, Austrailian, Republican, Middle Eastern. Not every opinion was represented, but enough to know that there are wondrous people in this country. They care about this country. They want the world to progress. They want answers. They want to understand themselves and the human condition. They are passionate about what they have to contribute but open to further education. None of these conversations have been arguments.

For my part, I am trying to rid myself of the trappings of the American Dream. I know that I did not do very well when I tried to deal with money and security, the pursuit of happiness. So I am learning to rid myself of the fear that weighs down a person in America when they think about trying to control what money and security they can manage. I just... won't have any. Somehow, I'm still okay. My freedom from these ideas is a growing freedom from the system that contains the flaws. All of this stuff that is making everyone so passionate and dissatisfied? It is contained within the system that is failing us but, for some reason, we are still clinging to. I guess that it's out of fear. A fear of the unknown and what would happen if we just chucked the whole thing in the river. I am getting to the point where I'd rather do that than deal with the consequences of the Trump presidency. Am I overreacting? Probably. Even though I see all of this resistance to these awful things that are brewing, I see all of these people talking about taking responsibility for their citizenship, I don't see anyone talking about what we are actually going to do.

What are we actually going to DO? It seems like the time is rapidly approaching, faster than I realized that it would, where we may have to DO something besides post memes and make jokes and have town hall meetings.

And as for the happiness? In spite of all of this, or perhaps because of it, I'm realizing that it isn't something that needs pursuing. It is right here. Right now. It is immediate. It is real. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have it, that you need to play along in order to find it. It is inside you right now and you can grab it anytime you want it. That is where the resistance will start. We don't need anything. Money, security, structure, commerce, stuff. They are all just smoke and mirrors. Happiness is constant. Wealth is abundant. There is ALWAYS enough love to go around. If we remember that, then we'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment