"Hey man. This country is so expensive, you know? I spent $2000 dollars in one day," he says. He does not bat an eye at this figure.
"On one party," Marvin chimes in.
"How do you live here? What do you do? What are you doing?"
I look down, "I don't have any money, man."
"But what do you do?"
"Um, I write."
"So yeah. You'll never make any money doing that. Like people who have big books do, but, you? What do you do, sell them yourself?"
"Yeah, it's not a money thing. It's part of my salvation."
"So how do you travel?"
"I just do. The world takes care of me. I have everything I need. I don't have anything I don't need. I'll give it away if I can. And I always have just enough."
He smiles. "That's beautiful man, that's it," his accent seems to deepen, "I wish I could do what you do. Travel like that. I'm too scared."
"A lot of people say that. I haven't been doing it that long."
"Aw, come on, man..."
"And I'm terrified. I am constantly scared. But that can't stop us. The motion is the important part," I fee like we are true friends in this moment, "I wish I could live like you. But I'm too lazy and internalized."
His smile gets wider, "I love this American attitude. You're not poor. You know that, man? You guys are so open and free. You want to talk about love and the world. Who cares if your government is a piece of shit."
"That's why I avoid them."
No comments:
Post a Comment