But that's not where the story ended. After the show, Em and I were drenched in blood and other bodily fluids. I had left her right up on the rail in front of the stage when I went to interview Pustulus Maximus, and we stayed there, on the fringes of the pit, for the whole performance. We were wearing dark colors, so it wasn't quite as obvious as some of the more dedicated, white-hoodie-clad GWAR fans, but we were dripping with blood. Wet, liquid blood.
Then... our phones died. Yeah, Em and I had both worked during the day, so we had been going since about 7am, and our phones paid the price. Not a big deal in any real way, except we were in Minneapolis and we had taken a Lyft to the show.
Now it was time to find our way home, and without our phones, Lyft ceased to be an option. We tried to figure out what to do, using up the final moments of our battery charges, before the disheartened staff of the historic First Avenue venue asked us to move along so they could get to the gargantuan task of cleaning up after the concert.
So, out into the cold, 20-degree night we went, wandering the unfamiliar streets in a frustrated, simi-bickering state. At one point, we encountered a cop. I asked him where the train station was. He looked at me with trepidation. In my feelings of urgency, needing to get my shivering girlfriend out of the elements, I had disregarded our appearance. "So, what's with the red?" he asked of our blood-streaked faces. We tried to explain, finally landing just this side of convincing, that we were at a rock show and not a massacre.
Needless to say, the ride home was mildly uncomfortable. We were not in the best moods, even though the show was awesome and I could already picture how funny the story was becoming. The other passengers on the train and bus transfer kept their distance. Apparently GWAR isn't as well known as I assume. If someone looks at you strangely and you say, "I just saw GWAR," it doesn't really clear everything up for, say, a couple of Spanish stoners whose buzz you are killing.

No comments:
Post a Comment