Thursday, June 8, 2017

Amusement

Eventually, when you've ridden enough roller coasters, you start to figure out where the cameras are going to be. There's a pole and usually a flash, it's usually at the bottom of one of the big drops. There is something about me that makes me do a little performance for these cameras. I know if I bring myself out of the moment of the ride, the thrilling roller coaster experience, I can make a face that will make for a different moment after the fact. Sometimes I do 'serious man', or 'thumbs up', or 'overly frightened', it all depends on the mood and the coaster.

Emily, on the other hand, looks happy. In ever picture, she is in the moment. She is not looking at the camera, she is screaming with the joy and the adrenaline rush of the ride. Every time. I wish I could have bought every single picture of all the roller coasters we went on when we visited Hersheypark this Tuesday, while you were at work.

Her favorite ride, at least judging by her reaction, was a small roller coaster with little 4 person carts. It was called the Maniac Mouse or something like that. It was full of tight turns and leans over the edge. She laughed hysterically the whole time and the experience melted me into a state of nirvana. In life we have ups and downs, but there are some moments when our experience is intense, death is a possibility, and everything is okay. The roller coaster is just one of those moments when life and choices simply fall away and we are left with our unclouded consciousness. But Em lives her whole life like this. She helps me to be present in these moments. She is so genuine and honest about the way she lives, it is an example to everyone around her. Everyone wants a piece of Em, and I'm glad that I get to share my days with her, I'm grateful for that. She reminds me to stop making faces for the camera and just enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment